Now that March Madness is behind us, and if many of you are like me and had your bracket busted in the first two days, you are probably scratching your head trying to determine who to pick to win the Masters in your office pool. In the past there has been a clear cut favorite going into the Masters. However, this year could be the most unpredictable Masters since Larry Mize chipped in to win the Masters in a playoff against Greg Norman in 1987. Since there is a 14-club limit for how many golf clubs you can have in your golf bag, I have decided to list the top 14 favorites to win the 2016 Masters.
14. Phil Mickelson – 3-time winner; still searching for his swing but always in the hunt at Augusta.
13. Hideki Matsuyama – Winner earlier at Waste Management Phoenix Open and tough competitor.
12. Paul Casey – Always seems to play well at Augusta, but just cannot get to the finish line.
11. Louie Oosthuizen – Won on the Australasian Tour and played great in the Match play, tender back and all.
10. Zach Johnson – Past Champion and putting lights out. Does he have the length?
9. Rory McIlroy – Struggling with putting but going for the career Grand Slam. Great players find a way to get it done.
8. Dustin Johnson – Love his length for playing Augusta. If he can conquer the greens he will be victorious.
7. Rickie Fowler – In search of his first major; why not at Augusta? He has the game and the burn to win.
6. Justin Rose – Playing very solid golf over the past several weeks and had a strong 2nd place finish in 2015.
5. Henrik Stenson – Can drive the ball long, hit straight Irons and putt extremely well. Has the entire package to win.
4. Bubba Watson – Wins in 2012 and 2014 – 2016????
3. Jordan Speith – Defending Champion made history last year. Can join Nicklaus, Faldo and Woods as only back to back winners
2. Adam Scott – Multiple winner this year and has the best swing in golf. Putter is red hot.
1. Jason Day – Won twice in March and if his back holds up can earn his second major.
So, as you can see from the players above, this is going to be fun to watch. Will one of the magnificant 14 win this year’s Masters or will there be a dark horse to make history? I am sure that the 2016 Masters will be the hot ticket for the week. Who will win?
Next month, I will recap the Masters results to see if one of the favorites came out on top.
In the meantime, be sure to tune in to the Bunker to Bunker Golf Show every Saturday morning from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. on ArizonaSports 98.7 FM or on the internet at www.arizonasports.com for more tips and updates on all of the week’s golfing news in the Valley and around the world. Join Greg, Jim Hill, and Marty Monaghan for a comprehensive look at the golf world for the week.